A question I get from authors when I set up their website is “do I really need a blog?” You sure do!
Some authors think a blog isn’t necessary but it actually serves two important purposes! It’s a way to drive traffic to your website. And provide valuable content to connect with your readers.
The next question is, what do I write about?
Whether you’re a seasoned author or just starting out, you may be wondering what to write about on your blog.
Here are some topics you can write about. I’m sure after reading through this list some other ideas will come to mind!
Write About Your Books
- Book recommendations: share your reading list and tell readers why you loved (or didn’t love) certain books.
- Talk about your favorite books. What makes them special to you? Why do you think others will enjoy them too?
- Blog about a character in your book.
- Write about a new book you’re writing
- Interview one of the characters in your book.
- Share updates on a book you’re writing.
- Ask for feedback from your readers about book covers and book titles.
- A contest for a chance to win a copy of your book or a virtual meet and greet.
- Write a backstory about your characters.
- Do a feature about supporting characters and their backstory.
Write About Writing
- Offer advice and tips for aspiring writers. What writing tips do you have for those who want to follow in your footsteps?
- Share your writing process. Readers love getting a behind-the-scenes look at how you create your work.
- Share where you get your inspiration from.
- Write about struggles with writer’s block and how you overcame it.
- Share the writing tools you use.
You Can Also Blog About Your Personal Experiences
- Get personal with your readers and share something that isn’t widely known about you.
- Write about a special place you go to to find inspiration.
- Blog about what you do when you’re not writing.
- How you practice self-care.
- Write about author life and what it’s truly like being a writer.
- Blog about your writing style.
- Write about any current events that interests you.
- Your favorite books of all time.
- Introduce your favorite author and how he or she inspired you to become a writer.
- Share interesting anecdotes about your life as an author. What funny or memorable moments have you experienced?
Wrapping It Up
These are just some great ideas for blog posts for authors. If you’re looking for something to write about, consider one of these topics. They’re sure to get you thinking and maybe even inspire you to create something new. Happy blogging!